Wednesday, June 17, 2009

From Knowing Pain to No Pain

Most therapists go into this healing profession because they have experienced pain at some point in their lives, either physically or emotionally. I was surprised by the number of therapists who have had near death experiences (being shot, falling several stories after an elevator cable broke); they all found massage to be the only pain relief after their trauma. After feeling better, they all wanted to pass on the good they received by giving to others, and so they became massage therapists.

I wanted to work as a therapist after I danced professionally for 2 years and found massage to be the the only relief for my sore muscles; two of the men who are my massage therapists are also former ballet dancers. People who work with their bodies also know how to work with other bodies.

Sometimes the pain is emotional and the therapist's table is the only place people are able to let go of their burdens, sobbing with grief or pain as the therapist gave them a safe place to let go. I always keep tissues handy for my clients to either blow their noses from being face down in the face cradle or for times when their emotions need to come out as I work out the tension in their shoulders and neck; the pain in your neck may just be a literal metaphor for the person who is a pain in your neck.

They say the best counselors are those who have lived through their clients' challenges, and I think the same is true of massage therapists. Knowing what it feels like to have constant or sharp pain gives you compassion and an understanding of how important it is to offer some relief or comfort. To go from knowing pain to having no pain is a journey, and this journey is best shared with someone who has been on that road and can help smooth out the bumps along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment