I have only fired two clients in my entire career, one was a professional athlete who was constantly late for his appointments (never paying for the 30 minutes he was late), abusive to others, and controlling. There was no way for me to give him the pressure he wanted while using only my fingertips (he specifically said he did not want any elbow, forearm, knuckle, or palm work), and he never tipped even though he said he enjoyed my work every time I worked on him. After three appointments I told the hotel concierge that I no longer wanted to work on him and they immediately asked if he had acted inappropriately; my reply was simply, "He is very difficult to work with and if he books again, please give him another therapist". Diplomacy is always a good tactic, especially with a concierge with whom you have had an on going relationship for many years.
The winner of the worst client of my career came years later. She explained on a phone call how she had several surgeries and health problems that left her "energetically sensitive". She told me that she had been unable to find anyone in Los Angeles she liked as an ongoing therapist. I learned after my first appointment with her why she had been unable to find anyone she liked; just as all true benefits are mutual, all problems are also mutual.
As someone who works in this profession because I enjoy helping people feel better, I consider it a challenge to work with people in pain. It is the most rewarding experience to see a client get up with a smile able to move or simply to sit comfortably after I work with them. While I can not always provide complete relief, nearly every time the client feels better and in less pain than when I arrived.
Sadly there is no 100% success rate in any profession, and my worst client was the one who showed me that the 1% can damage the other 99% if you allow it to affect you. I found that after working for several hours on someone who was never satisfied and constantly changed the parameters of what she wanted, my mood and energy was affected for other clients I had for several days afterwards. I felt as she enjoyed torturing me, constantly changing her mind on how much pressure was enough or too little, what areas she wanted addressed and in what order, which direction she wanted my movements to go, and how I was to communicate with her (by text only even when arriving at her door); she did all this every five minutes during sessions which lasted several hours.
I felt as if I needed a shower after my appointment with her just to wash off the negativity that permeated my body after working on hers. I was shocked when she harassed me for weeks afterwards, sending me a text at least once a day asking for another appointment. She apologized profusely for being difficult and promised it would be easier if I took another appointment with her. Easier is a relative term, and although she was not as difficult, it wasn't by any means a good appointment for me. I tried to find a substitute for me but when I referred someone else to her she demurred saying she only wanted to work with me. I think she enjoyed the continuity of knowing her torture victim in advance.
I believe in the adage, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" and I have fired her. I feel free now to do my work with people I enjoy who appreciate and enjoy my work. Sometimes you must let go of a client who poisons your energy so that you can allow other truly wonderful clients to come to you. Ever since I fired this woman I have had more clients than I can count, and every one of them is 100% easier and more beneficial to my mental, emotional, and financial health.
You can't help everyone, but you can help yourself; always feel free to fire a bad client.
San Laurel
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment