Monday, May 11, 2009

$5 change

I have written about tipping in a previous post but I had an experience tonight which highlights the amazing ignorance and arrogance of certain clients.

This particular client was referred to me by a third party because he was slightly unusual; the woman who referred him to me told me that he was afflicted with a muscular nerve disease but wanted a therapist who could work with that and still treat him without judgments or pity. Not a problem for me, so when I talked to him I gave him a discounted rate knowing that his medications cost a fortune and knowing that he really needed the therapy to maintain his flexibility and range of movement.

When I arrived at his home I realized I had prejudged him because I drove up to a multi-million dollar home, complete with private concierge, valets, and porters. Some people who are in need of therapy are in no need of money. It was a lesson for me not to lower my rates out for someone who needed no reduction.

The session was quite difficult because of his disease and because he was about twice my size. When it came time to pay me, he asked for ANOTHER discount, to which I replied that he was already paying a discounted price and that the only further discount I would offer him would be if he prepaid for 11 sessions and I would give him the 12th one free. He declined. He paid without tipping.

Several appointments later (tonight), he did not have exact change and since my fee was not a round number, when he handed me the money he said to me, "You owe me $5." I replied, "No problem, I have it in my purse." I was so appalled by his attitude and his stinginess about tipping me even $5 that I had to write about it here.

To phrase the request for change in such a manner was probably the most disturbing to me. He acted as if it would have been a crime to accept the extra $5 as a tip. He acted as if I would not give him change unless he specified that I owed it to him. I don't know what this man does for a living, but I would bet (at least $5) that he has never worked for tips in his entire life.

I tip valets and porters $5 whenever I use them, and now I may tip them more to make up for people like this man. My hope is that he will finally understand kindness and generosity when he comes back as a pizza delivery boy in his next life.

No comments:

Post a Comment